Assignment #9 Writing clear sentences
Assigned: Friday, April 23, 1999
Prepare the following on separate sheets of paper. Head each paper using the format provided by Gloria. Proofread your work for clarity, legibility, punctuation, capitalization, spelling, conciseness and complete sentences.
Part 1 due Monday, April 26, 1999
- Arabs wear turbines on their heads.
- We had a longer holiday than usual this year because the school was closed for altercations.
- The difference between a king and a president is that a king is the son of his father, but a president isnt.
Ill correct part 1 and return it to you on Tuesday, April 27, 1999. Do not proceed to part 2 until you have carefully reviewed what you did right and wrong in part 1.
Part 2 due Thursday, April 29, 1999
- The pedestrian had no idea which direction to run, so I ran over him.
- I had been driving for about 40 years, when I fell asleep at the wheel and had an accident.
- My car sustained no damage whatsoever, and the other car somewhat less.
Example discussed in class on Friday, April 23:
Richard Lederer collected the sentences with which Ive asked you to work. He published them in his book Anguished English (Wyrick and Co., 1987).